• 1967: All six members of the Grateful Dead are arrested for drug possession after a raid at their 710 Ashbury Street house in San Francisco
• 1967: Woody Guthrie dies at the age of 55
• 1954: Stevie Ray Vaughan is born
• 1992: Singer Sinead O’Connor rips up a picture of Pope John Paul on “Saturday Night Live”
• 1970: Janis Joplin dies of a heroin overdose in a Los Angeles hotel room at the age of 27
• 1956: Johnny Cash is jailed for drug possession
• 1992: Guns N’ Roses holds the top two positions on the charts with their albums Use Your Illusion I and Use Your Illusion II
• 1980: Bob Marley collapses during a concert in Pittsburgh and will never perform again
• 1975: Sean Ono Lennon is born to John Ono Lennon and Yoko Lennon Ono
• 1940: John Lennon is born
• 1997: John Denver is killed when the plane he is piloting crashes over Monterey Bay, Calif.
• 1978: Nancy Spungen, girlfriend to ex-Sex Pistol Sid Vicious, is found dead of knife wounds in room 100 of New York City’s Chelsea Hotel
• 1962: Flea of the Red Hot Chili Peppers is born Michael Balzary
• 1947: Bob Weir of the Grateful Dead is born
• 1990: Vanilla Ice’s To The Extreme is the first album to top the U.S. album chart on CD without a vinyl counterpart
• 1965: Todd Park Mohr of Big Head Todd is born
• 1977: Lynyrd Skynyrd loses Ronnie Van Zant, Steve Gaines and Cassie Gaines when their plane crashes into a Mississippi swamp
• 1971: Snoop Doggy Dogg is born Calvin Broadus
• 1995: Shannon Hoon, lead singer of Blind Melon, dies of a cocaine overdose at the age of 28
• 1991: Concert promoter Bill Graham dies in a helicopter crash near Vallejo, California.
• 1971: At the age of 24, Duane Allman dies while undergoing surgery after he is injured in a motorcycle accident in Macon, Ga.
• 1986: License To Ill, by The Beastie Boys, becomes the first rap album to reach number one.
• 1966: King Ad-Rock of The Beastie Boys is born Adam Horovitz
Compiled from the archives of Rock & Roll Library www.rocklibrary.com